Sunday, July 4, 2010

Last night in Praha





So I definitely won't miss how rude the Czechs can be. I spent my entire afternoon, the one that was supposed to be spent in the Bohemian town of Kunta Hora, at the Czech post office. Because the Czechs take a 5 day weekend to commemorate democracy, and excuse for stealing our Fourth of July, no Fed-Ex, UPS, or DHL was open--the only places in the entire Czech Republic that carry big boxes to ship my suitcase. So instead, I had to divide my suitcase contents among 5 tiny boxes in the middle of the main post office. Oh, but that makes it sound easy. Several tellers were sending me on a wild goose chase to literally 5 different windows, as I'm trying to lug a suitcase, camping backpack, purse, another backpack and 4 boxes, not to mention some souvenirs that were quite big [I have to leave the description out, because one was for Becky, who hopefully reads my blog. You better love it, bitch!] I swear some do it for their own amusement. That communist work ethic still prevails. And to top it off, they yell, as if that's going to make you understand their ugly language any better. I'm sorry everyone walked all over you in the last century and merged you with the Slovaks and the gypsies, but it's not my fault. Be nice for a change. O by the way, the Hungarians have better goulash. Take that. lol.

Ok, now that that rant is over and done with, I have to say, I will miss Praha, but especially the Czech countryside. I'll miss watching the sun rise over the Vltava River, the sweet air of Moravia, the castles in Bohemia, the gypsy chasing, photographing the remnants of communism that still prevail, the fact that life moves slower, if at all on some days. And of course, the Moravian wine. I'm coming back even more of a wino and also a nutella fiend. Those are going to be expensive habits in the states. I'm also coming back the closest to a vegetarian I'll ever be, thanks to the Czech's strict diet of sausage and unseasoned hunks of meat. I don't know what I'm going to do without fried cheese.

My final project will hopefully be done soon, but for now enjoy photos from the group's last night in Prague, at the local billard bar. People seem to like to wear my glasses. I think one day I'll do a series of portraits on it, I already had three others before this.

1 comment: